FT Senior Police Medical Officer | Attractive salary | Victoria Police
- Victoria Police
- Melbourne CBD and Inner Suburbs, Victoria
- Attractive salary + super + leave loading
- Medical Officer
- Per annum, $200k - $349k
- Contract Type
About the role:
The Senior Police Medical Officer (SPMO) leads the Medical Advisory Unit which provides expert services and advice to support the operational and recruitment activities of Victoria Police. The SPMO reports to the Commander of Recruitment and Deployment Division within the Human Resource Department.
The SPMO provides specialist knowledge to ensure a healthy, productive workforce and connect the workplace with the diverse range of health services.
As the manager of the Medical Advisory Unit you will be responsible to ensure the main core responsibilities of the Unit are met. Some of the Unit duties are:
- Conducting pre-employment medical and psychological assessments for police recruits, protective service officers and police custody officers.
- Conducting medical fitness for duties assessments (Directions to Attend (DTA)).
- Workplace Alcohol and other Drugs testing of Victoria Police members.
- Health Monitoring and statutory medical assessments of Specialist Police Groups.
- Medical Advice Line – 24/7 service that advises and supports members potentially exposed to blood borne viruses and other infectious diseases.
Your duties will include:
- Provide specialist medical advice in all aspects of occupational medicine including ensuring that physical, psychological and addiction-related conditions do not impact the operational policing capacity.
- Represent Victoria Police at government level, intra and inter department forums, various committees and legal proceedings relating to raising awareness and in gaining support for employment related medical standards.
- Implement mechanisms to audit the activities of contractor agencies supplying health services on behalf of Victoria Police.
- Provide expert opinion in other operational areas, as required, including operational safety tactics aviation medicine, diving and hyperbaric medicine.
- Provide expert opinion and support on matters of broad policy importance including contributing to the Alcohol and Other Drug Steering Committee, and Professional Standards and Assessment Panel.
- Provide management and clinical supervision to medical and nursing staff.
As the successful applicant, you will have:
- Experience in occupational medicine, as well as general management experience
- Highly developed communication and interpersonal skills
- Highly developed negotiation skills and stakeholder engagement skills
- Highly developed decision making skills in a fast paced environment
- The ability to work through complex medical issues and provide advice to the organisation
Requirements and relevant information:
- Applicants must be an Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident or hold a valid work permit or visa.
The following qualifications are mandatory:
- Registration or eligibility for immediate registration as a legally qualified medical practitioner with the Medical Practitioners Board of Victoria.
The following qualifications will be desirable and advantages to your application:
- Fellowship of the Australasian Faculty of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Royal Australian College of General Practitioners or another relevant specialist college;
- Medical Review Officer Qualification;
- Designated Aviation Medicine Examiner;
- Diving and hyperbaric medicine (for the ability to perform Commercial Diver Medicals).
Your application must include:
- and Completed application form - attached to the job advertisement.
Applications close midnight, Thursday 25 April 2019 - No applications will be accepted via email.
For further information on this role please contact: Daniel McPherson on 03 9247 3863 or via email Daniel.McPherson@police.vic.gov.au.
If you have a disability/medical condition and require a copy of this advertisement and attached documentation in an accessible format or would like to discuss an access requirements/reasonable adjustment for the recruitment process, please contact VPS Recruitment via email VPSRECRUITMENT@police.vic.gov.au.
FT GP Required | Great, accessible location in Pa…
Gold Cross Medical Centre
FT/PT | VR GP | Flexible Hours | Bulk-billing | 6…
Access Medical Group
FT - VR GP Required - DWS - Browns Plains Family…
FT - VR GP Required - High patient demand - DWS -…
FT GP required - High patient demand - DWS locati…